Saturday, December 1, 2018

December 1st, Day 1, Countdown to Christmas

Christmas is such a magical time for me. In Pennsylvania, growing up, Christmas was all about visiting family, eating a lot of food and snow! I have some really special memories, of visits, to family, who have passed away that I will cherish forever. The mountains, the snow, the smell of pine trees, food, laughter, great conversations, hugs, gifts, special times, I was truly blessed.

Since moving to Michigan, we would always go back to Pennsylvania, every other year but, last year decided, we would change things. We decided to go back other times of the year, when it wasn’t a holiday, so we could visit more and just have a relaxing time. Plus, our son is a freshman this year and we really wanted his high school years to be home, in Michigan, for Christmas.

So far, that decision has been amazing. We visited family in August, and I got to talk to my Poppy, who is 95 years young, for 3 hours! I can’t tell you the last time I had done that because usually I would see him, at a holiday, when a lot of people were visiting, so we didn’t get that time together.

Fast forward to now, and we have a different tradition, staying home every year. The house is decorated, we got our tree the weekend after Thanksgiving and we have our artificial one down in our family room in the basement. I am completely done shopping, already started wrapping and have two cookie exchanges coming up this week. Then, my daughter and I will bake about 5 or 6 different kinds of cookies that we give to neighbors and keep for when we entertain friends or family this month.

We are hosting my husband’s family Christmas early so we wanted to get everything decorated and ready. It looks cozy, beautiful and festive. I feel relaxed, and am enjoying everyday of this holiday month. Normally, on our off year to Pennsylvania, family would come and be with us and it was nice, but I still felt like we never had our time, just the four of us to do our thing. This year, family is coming the day after Christmas and I am so happy. We will get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day all to ourselves, to do our traditions, to have our time together. It is going to be a magical Christmas!!! 

No comments: